Giving Birth in Bahrain - Your Experience

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by steinfliege, Feb 27, 2015.

1. steinfliege

steinfliege New Member

Dear all,

I am a happy mother to be here in Bahrain. This is my first child and I am not sure whether I should give birth here or in my home country. If you have given birth here in Bahrain, I would very much appreciate if you can share your experience with me and answer the following questions:
    1. Are prenatal and postnatal courses available?
    2. Did you have a midwife that accompanied you during and after your pregnancy? If yes, can you recommend one to me?
    3. Could your husband attend the birth?
    4. How is it to be highly pregnant during the summer months?
    5. Is the medical coverage (health checks, vaccinations, etc..) for the baby good?
    Many thanks for your help in advance!

Best,
    Sabine
  2. MIB ADMIN

MIB ADMIN Moderator Staff Member

Hi Sabine - congratulations on your pregnancy :)

I gave birth to my second child here, and my experience was much more positive than my first one (in the UK). I was with Dr Siti at Royal Bahrain Hospital - she was great throughout the routine appointments and was with me at the birth.

I didn't attend any antenatal courses, but i think that maybe RBH do them, and also AMH.

I had several midwives/nurses with me throughout my labour, and they attended to the baby after birth (this is something you may want to think about - it is usual here for the nurses to do just about everything for the baby once born, rather than the mother, and at times I had to be very clear about what I wanted i.e. the baby was to stay with me, NO formula, I would do the baths, diaper changes etc etc.). I must admit though, it was really nice to know that someone was able to do a diaper change for me now and again!!

My husband was with me throughout the birth, no problem. I think that sometimes, some hospitals don't allow the husband in during a C section, so that is something you need to find out early on, and decide if that is something you are happy with or not.

My baby was born in July, so I had plenty of weeks being heavily pregnant in the scorching heat - not pleasant! But, I just stayed in air conditioned environments as much as possible, drank plenty of fluids, and put up with the sweat!!

I have also been very happy with the paediatric services available here too for checks, vaccinations etc. I use Dr Sreekumar at RBH as he was the doctor who saw my son at birth, and he is lowly. I also use the AMH clinic at Amwaj too for more 'instant' service i.e. rash has suddenly appeared etc. Also BSH and Awali hospitals are great, also International.

In summary, IF I was pregnant again, I would give birth here, rather than go back to the UK. Just find the right doctor and hospital for you, be clear on how you want things to be, and then relax and enjoy the process :)

Hope this helps a little x