Receiving Post/Mail

Discussion in 'New to Bahrain / Moving' started by Tommysmommy, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Tommysmommy

Tommysmommy New Member

Can someone please explain to me how receiving post/mail works? I've just moved to Bahrain and already have lots of family and friends asking for my address so they can send me care packages and cards/letters. I have seen some post about having a P.O. Box? Is this is only way to receive mail or just the best way.

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Nicola
  2. MIB ADMIN

MIB ADMIN Moderator Staff Member

Hello, welcome to Bahrain!! Receiving mail here can be a bit hit and miss........ It tends to depend upon the area that you live in, and the kind of building i.e. compound villa or apartment block. I live in an apartment block, and very rarely get mail delivered here, so I have set up a PO box to make sure that important stuff doesn't go missing. It is only 10 or 15 BD per year, although it is a bit annoying to have to go keep checking. If you live in a villa in a compound, then you may have more luck getting mail delivered to you directly. Ask your neighbours what they do, also ask the compound/building management etc. If you want to set up a PO box, then you have to go to a Post Office and ask if they have any free - some locations don't have any. The Post Office in the new souq building at Bab al Bahrain has some available, but not sure about other locations.

Hope this helps a little!
  3. Tommysmommy

Tommysmommy New Member

Thanks admin for your reply! What a great (and simple) idea to ask my neighbours! We'll be moving into Venice Gardens in a couple weeks so will be sure to ask around to see what they say.
  4. MIB ADMIN

Whereabouts is Venice gardens?
  5. Tommysmommy

Tommysmommy New Member

I'm not exactly sure, it is just as you go in to the compound on the right. It is a smallish compound I think - maybe less than 20 villas? From what I could see anyway.
  6. MIB ADMIN

I meant where abouts in Bahrain is the compound :) Probably best to wait until you get here and sort it all out then......
  7. Tommysmommy

Tommysmommy New Member

Oops (face.palm!)

It is in Janabiyah. But yes, I will wait, hopefully it will only be another week or so. Thanks again.
  8. MIB ADMIN